If you love the waters, then a vacation in Lakshadweep will be picture-perfect. Surrounded by the Arabian Sea, this cluster of islands has a lot of things instore for those willing to explore. From undiscovered beaches to thrilling underwater sports, you can choose to spend time in activities that most interest you.
Here are 10 exciting things you must do in Lakshadweep on an amazing weekend getaway.
1. Relax at the beach: When you are at a location like the Lakshadweep, you want to make the most of it by taking in as much as possible. So enjoy scenic views on the sandy beaches and admire the lagoons while you sunbathe and sip on some coolers.
2. Spend time underwater: From Scuba Diving to Snorkelling and reef walking, you’ll find underwater activities being offered on most of the islands in the Lakshadweep. Kadmat and Agati Islands are famous for Scuba Diving and Snorkelling respectively while you can do Reef Walking on Amini Islands.
3. Go fishing: Spend some time taking in the views of this gorgeous location by heading out for a fishing excursion in Kadmat Island. This is also a great way to simply laze around and relax or sunbathe while you get some fresh catch.
4. Enjoy the local cuisine: The food in Lakshadweep is highly inspired by Kerala and Andhra cuisine with staples like Sambar, Rice, Avial, curried and fried Tuna Fish, Idli, Puri and Potato Curry. You can also enjoy some lip-smacking seafood in varied localised preparations that can be a delight to foodies
5. Indulge in water activities: Water lovers can also indulge in other water sports activities such as kite surfing in Kadmat Islands, Canoeing at Minicoy Islands, or Kayaking and Yacht Sailing on Kavaratti. All of these make for great experiences especially if you like the waters.
6. Visit the Marine Museum: Kavarathi Island houses a one-of-its-kind Marine Museum that is home to some of the most attractive species of fishes and other marine life. Visit the museum to learn about the intriguing marine life.
7. Experience the nightlife: Bangaram Island has a commendable nightlife where you can enjoy your favourite cocktails and mocktails along with authentic sea food preparations.
8. Get acquainted with the culture: On Lakshadweep’s largest island – Minicoy, you can get acquainted with its culture and history by taking a tour of the several cultural centres and the island’s attractive Juma Masjid.
9. Get a glimpse of rare birds: At the Pitti Bird Sanctuary, you can catch a glimpse of the rare birds housed there. Pitti Island is a small, secluded island known for the Pitti Bird Sanctuary that houses some rare bird species along with being a breeding ground for sea turtles.
10. Shop for souvenirs: Lakshadweep being a beach destination, corals and seashells are available in plenty and you will discover beautifully crafted ornaments, jewellery and decorative items made from oysters, corals and seashells that can be purchased from the local shops for memorabilia. Choir products are also famous along with items made of tortoise shells and coconut shells.
Author: Zahra Motorwala